Friday, November 14, 2008

Times are a Changin'

Yes - it is a very real possibility that I am the ONLY mother on the planet who has not yet shared halloween pics of her kids with the world yet... don't go there.

But DARN are we worth the wait, or what?!? The quads were... well... quads. Sounded pretty original to us - why fix it if it ain't broke, right? Yes, we are aware of how freaking pathetic we are... but thanks for reminding us anyhow.

Truth be told, the beloved quads never graced the streets of TC on halloween with all their cuteness... we had some amazing volunteers VOLUNTEER to come to our house and watch them that night so we could take the big boys out (we NEVER EVER broached the subject or had THOUGHT about it)! It honestly felt really weird to be out without the babies - but it was also really nice to dedicate 100% of ourselves to Aiden and Caleb for a couple hours... those boys sure deserve it! We had a blast - our first year where both them really "got" it and were nuts running from house to house - hello Mr. Transformer and the cutest darned Batman you ever did see... holy moly... they were on fire that night all the greater good of mommy and daddy's sweet tooth! Ha ha ha...???So - Halloween also marked a huge milestone in our babies lives - they are THREE MONTHS OLD!!! Wow - it really is hard to believe that a baby can be 7# and 3 months old... but they do seem HUGE to us! And all so healthy - we have been truly blessed. And on their 3 month birthday mama T decided that it was just about time to say "Adios" to pumping... a very, VERY hard decision for me to make - but a very necessary one for the sake of my sanity... and my marriage =) As I have remarked in previous blogs (I think) with nursing all the quads and THEN pumping I had approximately 10-12 minutes before the whole cycle started again. I found out first hand that this process will lead to the occasional meltdown if you keep it up for months on end. I am, and always have been, SO committed to nursing my children for as long as possible (or until I deem it inappropriate). Aiden was a year and Caleb was just a hair over... OK - FINE! Caleb was close to 16 months or so... I was a total closet nurser "I am SO done... like tomorrow... or next week..." But keep in mind with Caleb we honestly didn't know if we'd ever be able to have more children and so I was hanging on so tightly to that bond. Yeah - laugh it up, folks.

Have any more kids... RIGHT.


ANYHOW - I am so grateful that I have been able to nurse/provide breastmilk for our quads for three solid months. Their little bodies need all that immunity and I couldn't be more proud to say that they haven't seen a drop of formula... UNTIL 5 days ago. That's right. It had to happen. I knew it was coming as they "caught me" in production of breast milk. And then when I quit pumping and only nursing them... well... it was obviously only a matter of time before my breastmilk STASH was depleted. Those little suckers can CHOW! But it really is hard to believe that they burned through all my stored milk so quickly - I had an ENORMOUS rubbermaid container FULL when I left the hospital - ENORMOUS! Our entire deep freezer was chuck full!! I was so proud carrying that puppy outta' that NICU!! OK - so I guess it wasn't ME carrying it - but I watched my hubby do such a good job!


And now? Well - this formula stuff blows in my book. I know we'll get used to it - but it's just an extra step in the feeding process and our babies can't poop to save their lives. They get so full of sh*t that they actually can not eat. It's nuts how quickly this junk has jacked up their systems! And they only get 25% of their bottle as formula - WHEN they get a bottle! I still nurse them all in the morning and then throughout the rest of the day they each get nursed at least 3-4 times/day (and the other 2 get bottles) with the mix. So say hello to suppositories and other gross things that I never, EVER thought I'd have to do. And forget me - those poor babies! Can you honestly imagine being so chuck full of poop that you can't eat?? And when you DO get brave enough to try, you projectile barf it all up? Not fun.


Wow.


I really just sat here and ranted about poop for a long time. Sorry dudes.


Please feel free to share any stories of your own you may have or any other solutions that stinking suppositories. The docs today told me to start giving them prune juice. Aren't they too young for that? This poop talk is insane!


Onward and upward - I HAVE to share some of these baby pics with you before I run out of time here... only cutting into my sleep time - sleep??? Sleep what???


These are a little sneak peek into our babies:


From left to right: Cameron, Summer, Brock, Dane
Hey, hey - the gang's all here!! Note little Brockee - off his stinking rocker! This kid is a hoot - he is his own best company and loves to laugh!! Oh, and nevermind Dane - we woke the poor guy up about 10 nano seconds before this pic and he was having a tough time getting his game on.





Our little Summer Girl... melting hearts one at a time... wait a minute - is she POSING already?? I'll tell ya'... that girl is going to be a heartbreaker!!










Cam (left) Dane (right).
Cam "DUDES!! Someone get this kid OFF ME!!! Do you know what he WEIGHS!?!?! And he looks HUNGRY!! What if he takes a bite?? HELP!!!"






Awwwwwwwwwww... shucks, folks. Who can resist Dane's gummy smiles? He's gorgeous and those big blue eyes and long eye lashes are irresistible!


Our lives have been transformed by the recent addition of all these amazing personalities coming forth!! The smiles abound and we are (gulp) making some serious headway in the SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT department!!! (yes - consider my foot shot) The babies have started their RSV shots (that continue through APRIL) and all we can do is pray, pray, PRAY for healthy kids this winter - it's so scary having these babies so fragile during the sickness seasons...
Oh, and if anyone out there wants to volunteer to help with some adorable birth announcements... let me know. I'd love some creative help!! Love to you all -
















12 comments:

Unknown said...

The boys were TOO CUTE for Halloween and the babies look so healthy--pudgy in the right places. I have no experience in the formula department either, but I sure see a million different kinds in the store and seems like there would be one that was much conducive to normal digestion? Do they have to have the iron-fortified kind? Great job nursing and pumping for 3 whole months. You are amazing! I'm sure it has a made a difference with those precious babes!
Love,
Dana M.

Jac Tubre said...

How cute! Ah, I remember the day my crew got their first taste of formula...I ended up wearing most of it :) No formula for our crew for 4 months, but that's what happens when their born 3 months early instead of 2 :) Great job momma!

We had to do the suppositories too :( It was hard, but they did eventually adjust...right before I officially went crazy. Just keep track of who went when and how much and don't let them go more than 3 days without going (that was my peds advice anyway). Don't know about the prunes, but I think they are too young for that??

The "Big boys" look so cute in their Haloween costumes.

Thanks for sharing.

Lots of love and prayers from Louisiana,
Jac & Crew

Krista said...

Cute babies. My 5.5mo triplets just got their first taste of formula a couple weeks ago now that I had to go back to work (and can't pump enough for them). I know what hard work and how exhausting it is to breastfeed and have to pump too. It is truly amazing how quickly they can go through a freezer of frozen milk (mine are well on their way). Congratulations and good job on breastfeeding your quads. That is amazing.

Anonymous said...

awww look at those little faces!! They are precious!!!!
I'm sure the big brothers loved the time with mommy and daddy on halloween!! :)
Hope all is well!!
Keep the pictures coming!!! :) :)
Love your cousin,
Gabrielle
Tonya your super mom!! Nursing for that long WOW!!! :) and still going!

Kara said...

Great job on the BF and the boys look adorable in their Halloween costumes. With my twins, one of them struggled stooling as well when she went to formula. I tried different things, but ultimately suppsoitories were the only thing that worked. She eventually got the hang of it.

Hope all continues to go well and great pics!!

Anonymous said...

hey there, the kids are all adorable, great halloween costumes.
what about pear juice? i think 3 months would be young, but in a few months, but maybe by then it will be all fixed up, just a little change, to get used to formula. good luck!
thanks for the updates!
we are pregnant with twins, guess i will need some advice from you soon, they aren't due til may.. will have to email you as it gets closer!
will be in touch,
Laurie Kunz

Carrie & John Lemonovich said...

Hey Lewandowski family - the Lemonovich clan here. I pumped for the first 4 months and felt so bad when it was time to introduce the formula but it was just so difficult to keep up with! Anyways, my quaddies are filled to the gills with poop too because of the formula. I talked to a nutrionist at Childrens Hosp. of Pittsburgh the other day who suggested pear juice as opposed to prune juice. It's much easier on the stomach and is a little sweeter. You may also want to try a tsp of Karo in 1-2 oz. of water. This keep things moist and flowing! Glad to hear that everything is going well for you guys. The babies are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing again. We love hearing about everyone.

Lucian would have loved to go trick or treating with a transformer and batman.

Great job on nursing for so long. You have so much dedication.

Talk to you guys soon. You all are in our thoughts everyday.

Love,
Jodi, Shelly, Lucian, and Jude

Moni Graf said...

Ya know, Mama T....breastfeeding quads for 3 months IS like going for 12 months! Awesome job on that.

I think ours were somewhere around 3-4 months when I had to start introducing formula (like 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula). Then the little horses kept taking more and more (imagine that) and it went to 1/2 and 1/2....like coffee creamer! By the time I hung up the shields, they were about 9 months and eating me out of breast and bra. I was SO happy to be done with it, even though it's so much better than formula.

Sorry I don't have any advice on how to get those baby bowels moving. Our pedi wasn't concerned with the lack of poopy diapers unless it's been 4-5 days. Seems a bit long to me, but they did always end up getting it out one way or another.

Hope the river of poop starts flowing soon at the Lewandowski house! Sorry...that was a bit too graphic.

Love from KS,
Moni

Moni Graf said...

p.s. wean yourself from nursing SLOWLY! Mastitis sucks.

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! The big boys are growing up so fast! Can't wait to come and help spoil those babies!
See you soon!

Carol Salladay

The Cochran Crew said...

We had a rough time with poo after I quit pumping as well. They will eventually work through it, all though it will take time. My pedi recomended an ounce of pedialite (SP) mixed in with their formula. Of course, I stopped at the store, left Matt in the van while I ran in and got some, got home and all four had left me a diaper full!! It took me a while to dry up too, much longer than the first go round with one baby. Good Luck!!